Monday, March 22, 2010

Tropical Delight

I've been making this ice cream all week.  Both Dh and I love it.  It's rich, sweet and oh so creamy.  If you like pineapple and banana, you'll love this.  If you're not fond of coconut and or pecans, you  can leave them out.

I tried different variations with this.  You may have to test this to see what works best for you.  I tried with the pineapple unfrozen and both bananas frozen, but it came out too soupy.

So I tried with everything frozen and it was really too hard to blend.  So I've found that the following works best.

To freeze the pineapple, I drain the canned (large)chunks in a colander really well.  I used a cake pan and stood them up so I'd have more room because you need to make sure that they aren't touching one another. 

I stuck them in the fridge in the morning so they'd be ready for our after-supper ritual. 

The week before it was chocolate ice cream and the week before that it was strawberry.  :-)  I think next week I'll try to do a pistachio ice cream.

If I had to choose a favorite, it'd be really hard to choose one, but I might have to choose the chocolate, over the Tropical Delight . . . . .  but they're really neck in neck because they're both so delicious. 

Tropical Delight

1 - 20 oz can drained pineapple chunks frozen - directions explained above
1 overripe small frozen banana cut into pieces
1 small overripe banana not frozen
3/4 - 1 cup of organic unsweetened vanilla soy milk
4 Tablespoons unsweetened coconut from health food store (optional)
4 Tablespoons pecans chopped (optional)

Blend in the vitamix until completely incorporated and serve.   Makes 4 servings.  Halve it for two people.

Without coconut and pecans it's 127 calories per serving.

With coconut and pecans it's 193 calories per serving.

My Dh's preference is with the coconut and pecans, while my favorite way to eat this is without both of them.  I love the tart taste of the pineapple mingled with the sweet smoothy texture of the banana and the soft creamy taste of the soy milk with a slight hint of vanilla.  But either way it's delicious.  Hope you enjoy it!

No comments: