Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Carrot Cabbage Soup


I've come down with a cold, so I wanted to make a soup to help with the sore throat and raw sinuses.  I was going to just throw something together and have done with it, but I knew if I did that it probably wouldn't be as tasty as if I planned a recipe.

I had some cabbage on hand and wanted to do something different with it than what I normally do like a stir fry. 

This was a real challenge for me because I really don't feel all that well.  My head is throbbing a bit, so I grabbed my thinking cap and gently placed it on top of my head.  A brothy rather than creamy  soup sounded better to me for this cold, plus I didn't want to add another step to making the soup.

And, presto . . . . .  yummy.  Another favorite for me.  If you try it, please let me know if you liked it.  And please be honest.  I can take it.  :)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup pearl barley cleaned and rinsed
3 cups water
3 cups carrot juice
1 medium to large onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 large head of cabbage sliced
2 large carrots chopped
2 large ribs celery chopped (I like to add some of the leaves for soup)
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried majoram
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 can beans rinsed and drained.  (I used northern, but red has more nutritional value, which I'll try next time, but really, any bean is good.)
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Pour the three cups water into a pot and bring to boil.  Add the pearl barley and simmer while you prepare the vegetables.

After the vegetables are chopped, add to a soup pot the onion and garlic and water saute  for about five minutes.  Add the rest of the vegetables and continue to water saute for about five minutes more.

Then add the minced ginger and all of the seasonings and stir well while adding the carrot juice.  Let the mixture come to a boil and turn off the heat.

When the pearl barley is ready, add it with the water to the carrot juice and vegetables mixture.  Add the drained and rinsed canned beans at this time too.  I didn't worry about using a 'no salt' can of beans.  If you look at the sodium per serving it will be less than the 300 mg allotment for the day on the Eat To Live program.  And the sodium gives it added flavor to the soup also.

Finally add the tablespoon of apple cider vinegar at the end and stir well.  Taste the soup to make sure the vegetables are cooked to your liking.  Cook a little longer if you like them soft.

If you can let the soup set covered on top of the stove for a while without the burner on before serving, it will allow the flavors to meld nicely.  Warm the soup before serving.  

I also thought I better mention that this is a sweet soup because of the carrot juice.  If you don't like sweet, either substitute some vegetable broth or water for some of the carrot juice or for all of it.

No comments: