Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Laina's Vegan Chile

Tonight I decided to make my own version of a vegan chili. It came out really good except it was just a tad too spicy. The next time I make this I'll use less chili powder.

My DH doesn't follow the E2L healthy diet so I made the recipe and set some aside for him and added his ground beef to his portion.

Laina's Vegan Chile

2 small onions chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
2 bell peppers (any color) chopped
2-3 medium carrots chopped
1 large rib of celery chopped
1 pound mushroom sliced
2 cans no sodium beans (kidney, pinto, black, northern - whatever you like)
1 32 ounce can of tomato puree
1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
2 cups frozen corn
1 Tablespoon masa
2 teaspoons ground oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 Tablespoon crushed leaf basil
1 Tablespoon crushed leaf parsley
2 teaspoons red chili powder
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
currants or raisins added when serving if desired

Water saute onions, and garlic for a couple of minutes. Add the peppers, celery and carrots and water saute for 3 more minutes on medium heat. Add a little water as needed for sauteing. Add mushrooms and saute for 2 more minutes.

Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Heat for five minutes on low and add more water if needed according to the consistency you like. To the right is a picture of the chili I use or a brand that is similar. I don't have a picture of the exact same brand, but this is the same, just a different company.

The kind you purchase in the spice isle in a jar has salt and other spices added to it. This red chili to the right is pure red chili. If you can't find it where you live and would like me to purchase and mail you some, just let me know.

Or, if you can't find this in your store you can always buy the red chili pods or even the crushed red pepper and grind away in your coffee grinder.

When I serve my chili, I lay a bed of lettuce in a bowl. I used romaine, but you can use any lettuce or spinach. If I had green cabbage in the fridge, I would have used it.

Add the chili to whatever green you chose and top it with grape or cut up tomatoes and add about one tablespoon of currants or not.

Here's a picture of what I ate tonight. Yummy!

No comments: