Friday, August 7, 2009

Eating For Health


Back in 2006 a friend loaned me her book, "Eat To Live,"
by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. After reading the book I joined his membership website and implemented his suggestions by changing the way I eat, from a standard American diet (SAD) to eating a healthy diet of nutrient rich foods.

I also read his book, "Fasting And Eating For Health." I had hoped to do a ten day fast after eating healthfully for a few months.


For about a year or so I ate the E2L way, and tried fasting, but I couldn't make it through 2 days. I felt like such a wimp. :-)

My health was compromised which is the main reason I decided to try eating this way. I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol too. I also suffered with fibromyalgia for over 20 years. I was hoping that this new diet along with a possible fast would heal me, or at least lessen the pain. There were some other health issues also that I'll mention in another post.

After the first year my of eating fruits, veggies, greens, beans, nuts and seeds, very little sodium, no oil, and limited starches, I saw some benefits to my health within three months.

My blood pressure was 139/95 and I brought it down to 120/70. My cholesterol was 295 total and it came down to 231 within 3 months time. The bad was 206 and I brought it down to 161.

I am so thankful to God and to my friend for introducing me to the book, "Eat To Live."


Those are wonderful benefits and even if that would be all the benefit I'll ever see, it's worth eating a nutritarian diet.

My doctor had wanted me on drugs for the high blood cholesterol and high blood pressure, but I told her to give me some time to bring the levels to a better range, by changing my diet, and wow, I did it. Yay! :-) I was so thrilled by the results.


But then a little later on my journey to health I got really sick - my health deteriorated even more which was surprising to me because I was eating such a high nutrient diet. I was so discouraged.

To be continued.....

No comments: